Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Yes, GD not my fault!

I just got back from the nutrition class and you were right! GD isn't my fault! While I can eat well to manage it, when I took that sugary drink regardless of how well I was managing GD my numbers would've spiked. I also found out I was eating way less than I needed to and honestly, when I saw how much I can eat, its not much different from what I was eating before the diagnosis. The only difference between how I ate and how I will eat is making sure to have a protein with my carb snack and trying to eat at the same times each day.

The dietician asked me about my miscarriages wondering if they'd been found to be linked to PCOS and she told me she had one miscarriage. It was such a bad miscarriage it scarred her uterus permanently and she was never able to have children. We talked about infertility for a little bit and I felt amazed she chooses to work in this field. We got to the section of coping with giving up foods, and she looked at me and said I'm sure you're okay with that? I quickly nodded but I wondered how does she feel when women come in crying that they can't eat cake anymore and how horrible pregnancy is? Judging from my birthclub on Bab.yCent.er people take the not eating sweet things quite hard. Almost ludicrously so. Don't get me wrong- I stopped and stared at the icecream sandwiches at Krogers yesterday like a child staring longingly at the puppy he always wanted, but I'm not really feeling sad about it. I know I can have it in May. I guess its all perspective and how you feel about something is relative to what you've gone through. Still, kudos to her to surround herself with pregnant women crying about cookies.

Off topic for wordpress powered bloggers: Wordpress bloggers and wordpress-powered bloggers I am still reading your blogs and I'm still trying to leave comments but it seems that my comments are going straight to your spam box? I'm not sure why and not sure if its limited to only me. If you don't regularly check your spam comment box please check it regularly since it seems genuine comments can fall to the wayside in there. Very strange!

14 comments:

  1. Yeah! I mean, not yeah about having GD, but yeah it's not your fault. And it sounds like you feel so much better and you should (and I think someone owe's you an apology, I'm just sayin').

    As for your nutritionist, she is braver than I. Not sure I could do what she does given her circumstances. Every day I hear about someone who is braver than me, and I think...yeah, I can survive this, and maybe with a little grace. So thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is so relative. I so often desperately wish that people would realize that "it" (whatever their "it" is!) really isn't that bad in comparison! Of course, I would never wish my experience on anyone so that they have reason to learn this lesson first hand, so where does that leave me? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are feeling better about GD... I too had little problem with givihg up sweets (although this whole girl scout cookie season is trying my patience lol!)... If you absolutely need something yummy, My dietician said that dark chocolate or sugar free pudding with 1/4 cup nuts is totally fine as a snack. She said to try to make it the between lunch/dinner snack. So far it has done nothing to my sugar levels :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear the nutritionist helped make you feel better!

    Also, yes, your comment did go into my spam! It's weird because I've never had your comments do that before...but I rescued it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so right about perspective...IF certainly changes ours! And, it does make those minor inconveniences so much more bearable!

    Glad you got some answers and a plan! And, that you're not feeling guilty anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that the appointment went well, and that you are feeling better about the diet. Kick the guilt to the curb along with those ice cream sandwiches, this will all be over before you know it and your son will be perfectly healthy!

    Yet another internal conflict of the pregnant infertile... the balance between feeling sorry for ourselves (because really, GD does suck in a lot of ways) but also being grateful for the gift of our child. The child FAR outweighs the inconvenience, but denying the occasional whine about the unfairness of diet restrictions isn't good either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! I am so glad that you got that information.

    What a sad story about the nutritionist...IF takes so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear you got good news about your gest. diabetes. Sounds like you are going to kick it's butt and do great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad that the heavy icky guilt was lifted off your shoulders. This was NOT your fault! GD happens to many women who are awesome, conscientious mommies-to-be. You and Sunflower are going to be just fine!

    And HELL YEAH I would give up sweets and cakes and carbs and my legs and arms and eyes to be able to carry my own baby. Thank you for bringing up this point.

    And thank you for your continuing support on my blog. To answer your question (re: my possible surro friend): my friend hasn't even mentioned serving as my surrogate for the past year and a half. And she knows I'm beginning my IVF in a matter of days. Does she owe me this? Of course not. Do I feel crushed? Of course I do.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear I was right and your DH was wrong in assigning any blame to you! Ha, take that buddy!
    That's one strong woman, to suffer from infertility herself and do what she does for a living. Hope the new diet turns out to be fairly easy to follow, and that you don't end up needing meds to control your levels.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm glad you got vindication but i knew it wasn't your fault :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. and you were right, i just pulled four comments from you out of my spam folder, i don't know why they are going there. in response to a comment you left a while ago, our ceiling looks great without the popcorn, scraping it off didn't ruin it, i hope to do the other rooms that have it too but it really sucks doing it yourself so i'm not sure when it will get done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on your pregnancy and sorry about the GD. You have a great perspective.

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you and Sunflower are doing great!

    ReplyDelete